Countdown to Kindergarten - 2012
Smart Start-Centre County was pleased to organize a successful 5th annual event Saturday, February 4 promoting successful transition to Kindergarten for Centre County children and their families. More than 150 families visited 20 exhibitors including four school districts, private and charter schools, and support agencies and programs who provided information and answered questions about Kindergarten programs and registration. Parents really appreciated the opportunity to talk to staff from different schools at one time and place.
Our event this year featured a health and nutrition theme, with 6 active play stations for children and take-home materials including a WIC Program cookbook, the children's book "The Berenstain Bears and Too Much Junk Food," a jump rope, a ball, and reused materials for active play at home. Families also enjoyed visiting our popular reading area, provided this year by Cen-Clear Child Services.
Thanks to generous donations, we were able to give 150 Kindergarten-bound children who attended a free "Class of 2025" t-shirt. An additional 850 of the t-shirts will be given to children at Kindergarten registration.
"staff was friendly, helpful, and wonderful" "enthusiastic volunteers" "everyone had a great attitude!" "lots of great help" "friendly atmosphere"
A big "thank you" to:
- Smart Start's Early Care and Education Committee and Health and Nutriton Committee
- Volunteers from Child Development and Family Council, Cen-Clear Child Services, and Bennett Family Center
- Nittany Mall for the space, tables, and chairs, sound system, set up and clean up
- Penn State interns and volunteers
- Coupon donors: Auntie Anne's, Charleys, and Dairy Queen
- T-shirt donors: PAMP, Cen-Clear Child Services, PNC Bank, Kid to Kid, Child Development and Family Council, Child Care Information Services of Centre County, CDFC Pre-K Counts Discovery and Philipsburg
- CCDA Waters in Milesburg for free bottled water for the event
- First Media 3WZ Radio and TV for free advertising and an on-air interview about the event
- Incoming Smart Start Board Chair, Melissa Clark
- Volunteer Coordinator Roni Franke and Activity Coordinator Edie Hillard